This slowcooker tender pork roast is perfect to come home to. Spoon up a big dollop of mashed potatoes to soak up all the wonderful sauce
- 1 boneless Ontario pork shoulder/butt/blade roast (about 2 lb/1 kg)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5 mL) each garlic and onion powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1 1/4 tsp (6 mL) salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) canola oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 smoked honey ale (473 mL)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) each water and cornstarch
- Pat roast dry and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together paprika, sugar, garlic and onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Rub all over roast to coat.
- In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown roast on all sides and place in slow cooker. Add onion and pour beer into slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Remove roast from slow cooker to cutting board. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove strings, if necessary and slice roast.
- Meanwhile, whisk together water, cornstarch and remaining 1/4 tsp (1 mL) of salt. Whisk into slow cooker. Turn slow cooker to HIGH and cook for about 15 minutes or until thickened. Serve with roast.
Beer Substitute: Look for other local Honey Brown ale style beers to substitute for this one. The hint of sweetness from the honey adds a perfect flavour to the roast.
|Smoked Beer Pork Roast