These biscuits are delicious on their own but imagine them with fried egg and extra cheese in them! A wonderful way to start your weekend with family.
10 large biscuits
- 2 Ontario pork mild Italian sausages (about 8 oz/250 g), casings removed
- 1 1/3 cups (325 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) cornmeal
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 cup (250 mL) buttermilk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter, melted
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded old cheddar cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each chopped fresh parsley and basil
- Place sausage meat into a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and cook, breaking up with a spatula, for about 6 minutes or until no longer pink inside. Drain any fat, if necessary.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Make a well in centre of the flour mixture and pour in buttermilk and butter. Add cheese, parsley, basil and cooked crumbled sausage. Stir until just combined.
- Using a large ice cream scoop or spoon, dollop batter onto parchment paper lined baking sheet into 10 large biscuits. Bake in 450ºF (230ºC) oven for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Tip: Make them ahead and freeze them so you can grab one out of the freezer and warm it up when you have the craving.
Use a hot Italian sausage for a bit of kick. Fresh chorizo sausage or honey garlic would also be a great change up. You can substitute loose sausage meat if available.
|Sausage Cornbread Biscuits