This Sausage and Bacon Pasta Bake recipe is perfect for weeknight dinner or for meal prep.
- Half a 375 g pkg sliced Ontario bacon
- 1 pkg (375 g) Italian Ontario sausage meat
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) diced original stewed tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) vegetable broth
- 2 tsp (10 mL) Italian seasoning
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) cream cheese
- 8 oz (227 g) penne pasta
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Remove to paper towel lined plate and remove all but 1 tbsp (15 mL) of the fat from the skillet. Crumble bacon and set aside.
- Add sausage and garlic to skillet and cook, breaking up sausage until no longer pink inside. Stir in tomatoes, broth and Italian seasoning; bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in spinach and cream cheese until melted. Simmer for 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF (180ºC). Lightly grease 13 x 9 inch (3 L) baking dish; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of boiling salted water; cook pasta for about 10 minutes or until tender but firm. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add sauce and half of the crumbled bacon into pot and stir to coat well.
- Spoon pasta into prepared dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan cheeses. Sprinkle with remaining crumbled bacon. Bake for about 30 minutes until bubbly around edges and golden on top.