Wrapping local asparagus in prosciutto or bacon and lightly grilling it is the best summer appetizer or side you can think of.
- 12 thin slices of Ontario-made prosciutto or 12 pieces of Ontario bacon, cut in half
- 24 thin spears of fresh Ontario asparagus (about 1 bunch)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp of honey or maple syrup
- Wash and break asparagus stalks where they snap easily; discard tough ends. Dry and toss with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Prepare the balsamic glaze by adding the balsamic vinegar and honey/maple syrup to a small saucepot. Bring to a light boil then reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, for 8-12 minutes, or until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.
- Bundle 2 spears together; wrap 1 piece of prosciutto or bacon around asparagus.
- Place bundles on greased grill over medium to medium-high heat; grill, turning occasionally until asparagus is bright green and tender and prosciutto or bacon is crisp, about 5 minutes. Drizzle bundles with the balsamic glaze and serve.