If you love the combination of cheese and onions in French Onion Soup, this twist on a grilled sausage recipe is just for you! If you don’t want to grill no worries, they can be roasted in the oven instead.
- 1 lb (454 g) fresh Ontario pork sausages (mild Italian or farmers)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) canola oil
- 1 sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dry white wine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped parsley
- 4 sausage buns, split
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Gruyere cheese
- Pat sausages dry. Place in a shallow baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk together Dijon and Worcestershire sauce. Spoon over top of sausages and roll around to coat; set aside.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onion, thyme, salt and pepper, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. Turn down heat to medium-low and cook for about 10 minutes or until golden brown. Add wine and cook, scraping up brown bits for about 2 minutes or until saucy. Stir in parsley; remove from heat.
- Preheat grill to medium-high. Add sausages and grill, turning occasionally for about 20 minutes or until thermometer inserted in centre of sausages reaches 165ºF (74ºC).
- Place sausages buns on grill to toast, if desired. Remove and tuck in sausages and top with onion mixture and sprinkle with cheese. Return to grill for a few minutes to melt cheese slightly.
|French Onion Grilled Sausages