Take your favourite caprese salad ingredients of basil, tomato and fresh mozzarella and create little bite-size ground pork burgers. Serve these up with a splash of hot pepper sauce for an added kick if you like.
- 1 pkg (450 g) Ontario ground pork
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) cornmeal
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh basil or parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each salt and pepper
- Half a log of prepared polenta, cut into 12 portions
- 1 log or ball (250 g) fresh mozzarella or bocconcini, sliced into 12
- Fresh basil leaves
- 4 small cocktail tomatoes, sliced
- Aged balsamic vinegar
- In a large bowl, combine pork, cornmeal, cheese, if using, basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Form into 12 small patties, about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter.
- Spray grill with cooking spray and heat to medium-high. Grill sliders about 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and no longer pink inside and meat thermometer reaches 165ºF (74ºC) when inserted.
- Spray polenta slices with cooking spray and place on grill. Grill about 6 minutes, turning once and place on platter. Place mozzarella slice on top then slider. Top with tomato, basil and drizzle with balsamic to serve.
Tip: Easily double this recipe and use up the whole log of polenta. You will find it in the international section or grain section of the grocery store.