Learn to make the ultimate brown sugar-glazed ham. A simple, tasty recipe ideal for holiday family gatherings.
- 1 spiral cut (fully cooked) half Ontario ham (6 to 8 lb/3 to 4 kg)
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) pineapple juice
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) beef broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) each packed brown sugar and cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) hot pepper sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) each cornstarch and water
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced fresh pineapple
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- Discard glaze packet from ham. Place ham on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Preheat oven to 275ºF (135ºC).
- In a saucepan, bring pineapple juice, broth, sugar and vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Whisk in mustard and hot pepper sauce.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and water. Whisk into saucepan and cook, whisking for about 1 minute or until thickened. Brush some of the pineapple glaze over ham and cover with foil. Bake for about 2 hours or until meat thermometer reaches a temperature of 140ºF. Uncover ham and brush with some more of the glaze.
- Increase oven temperature to 425ºF (220ºC). Roast, uncovered for about 15 minutes and brush with glaze one more time. Let ham rest for about 15 minutes before carving.
- Stir remaining glaze into pineapple with parsley and serve with ham.
Tip: If cooking a smaller or larger ham, estimate about 15 minutes for pound for cooking time.
|Brown Sugar Glazed Ham
|1/16 of recipe