This stovetop bacon perogy skillet recipe will quickly become a family favourite. Having the ingredients in the fridge and freezer will make this an easy meal for the kids to make too.
- 1 pkg (375 g) sliced Ontario-raised bacon, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 pkg (8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) beef broth
- 1 pkg (907 g) frozen potato, cheese and bacon perogies
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded old cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large deep heatproof non-stick skillet cook bacon and onion over medium high heat for about 15 minutes or until bacon is crispy. Spoon out all the fat and return skillet to heat.
- Stir cream cheese and broth into skillet and bring to a simmer, stirring until cheese is almost all melted. Reduce heat to medium and place perogies into skillet in a single layer. Cover skillet with lid and simmer gently, stirring carefully halfway through for about 12 minutes or until perogies are tender and puﬀed. Uncover and stir gently to coat perogies. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Place skillet about 6 inches (15 cm) under preheated broiler for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly. Sprinkle with green onions to serve.
Tip: Look for a locally smoked bacon for the best flavour. If the bacon is sliced thick, it may take a bit longer to crisp it up.
Tip: Carefully stirring the perogies while cooking will help prevent them from breaking apart in the skillet so all the creamy potato filling will stay inside.
|Bacon Perogy Skillet Dinner