Perfectly air-fried pork belly paired with fresh lettuce for a light, delicious bite.
10 minute prep; 12 hour chill
- 1 piece Ontario pork belly (about 1 lb/500 g)
- 2 tsp (10 mL) salt, divided
- 2 tsp (10 mL) brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Chinese 5 spice
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1 head of Boston lettuce or romaine heart
- Shredded carrot (optional)
- Hoisin sauce and sriracha (optional)
- Pat pork belly dry and cut 1/2 inch (1 cm) deep cuts into skin side of belly, trying not to cut into the meat. Cut across those cuts to create a diamond pattern. Flip pork belly over and make 1/2 inch (1 cm) deep cuts across the length of the pork belly; set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) of the salt, brown sugar, garlic and Chinese 5 spice. Rub into meaty side of pork belly including into the cuts. Flip the pork belly over.
- Mix together the remaining 1/2 tsp (2 mL) of salt and baking soda and rub into fat side of pork belly. Place pork belly on a small rack, fat side up, on a small baking sheet or pan and refrigerate uncovered for 12 hours.
- Place pork belly into air fryer at 300ºF (150ºC) for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Remove any fat from air fryer and return pork belly into air fryer at 400ºF (200ºC) for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp and golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before slicing.
- Serve in lettuce with carrot and a drizzle of hoisin and sriracha if desired.
|Air Fryer Pork Belly Lettuce Wraps
|1/6 of recipe