6 servings plus leftover for Saucy Pasta dish
6 to 8 hours LOW or 3 to 4 hours HIGH
- 10 fresh hot or mild Italian sausages (about 2 lbs)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) whole plum tomatoes, preferably San Marzano-style, with juices
- 1 bottle (24 oz/720 mL) tomato passata (strained tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp crumbled dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper1/4 tsp hot/red pepper flakes
- 10 small French-style dinner or slider sausage buns, split and warmed
- 10 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
- 3/4 cup roasted red peppers, cut into thin strips
- In a large non-stick skillet, cook sausages over medium-high heat, turning for 6 to 8 minutes, or until browned all over. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir in garlic, tomatoes with juice, pasta sauce, vinegar, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and hot pepper flakes.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours, until bubbling.
- For Day Two's Saucy Sausage Pasta recipe: Transfer four sausages and 4 cups of the sauce to a separate airtight container. Let cool, then refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Preheat broiler, with rack set 4 to 5 inches below heat source. Place roll halves, cut side up, on baking sheet. Cut the remaining sausages in half lengthwise. Place one sausage half on each bottom roll half. Spoon about 1 Tbsp sauce over each and top with one half-slice of cheese. Place the remaining half slices of cheese on top of roll halves.
- Broil for 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is bubbling. Top each sausage with roasted red peppers. Cover with top roll halves. Serve the remaining sauce on the side for dipping.