1 hour for back rib or 2 hours for side ribs
- 3 lb (1.5 kg) Ontario side or back pork ribs
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp (5 mL) red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1 to 2 cups (250 to 500 mL) your favourite BBQ sauce
- Back ribs: Preheat oven to 325ºF (160ºC). Remove tough membrane on non-meaty side by easing away a corner with a small knife, then tear the membrane away from the ribs. Side ribs: Trim away most visible fat. Pre-heat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- In a small bowl, mix together black pepper, red pepper flakes and thyme. Sprinkle over ribs and place on a baking sheet(s); meaty side up.
- Add hot water to baking sheets to give about 1/4-inch depth. Cover baking sheet(s) with foil and place in oven. Bake at 325°F (160°C) until meat begins to recede from the rib tips - about one hour for back ribs, two hours for side ribs.
- Remove ribs from oven and discard liquid from tray. Follow further instructions to brown ribs in oven or on grill; or, ribs can be cooled, covered and refrigerated, for up to 3 days.
- Oven: Increase oven to 450°F (230°C). Brush BBQ sauce on one side of ribs, cook for about 5 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and golden-brown. Turn ribs over and brush on remaining BBQ sauce. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Grill: Put grill on high for 10 minutes then turn down to medium. Place ribs on a medium-low heat and grill for 15 minutes, brushing with BBQ sauce, turning occasionally.