Mediterranean Red Wine Braised Pork
Yield: 8 cups
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3-3 1/2 hours
3 lb. pork shoulder (trim fat and cut into 5-6 pieces)
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 bottle of strained tomatoes (23 ounces)
1 can of mini cut tomatoes (19 ounces)
1 cup of dry red wine (your choice of varietal)
1 Tbsp. capers
1 Tbsp. Greek seasoning blend
Fresh ground black pepper
1. Pat pork dry, trim excess fat and cut into 5-6 large pieces. Season pieces with Greek seasoning.
2. Using a cast iron dutch oven (or heavy based pot), heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil over high heat. Sear the meat on all sides until browned (about 5 minutes) and remove to a plate.
3. Turn heat to medium and add the rest of the olive oil (2 Tbsp). Add the diced onion and sauté for 1 minute. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
4. Add the wine to deglaze the pot. Bring to a boil and cook until it reduces to half the volume (about 3 minutes). Add all the other ingredients (except meat) and mix to combine.
5. Return the meat to the pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and braise for 3-3 1/2 hours. Once the meat is done, remove the pieces to a cutting board.
6. Turn the heat up and boil the remaining sauce in the pot to reduce and thicken.
7. Using 2 forks, shred the meat into lots of nice strands. Return the meat to the sauce in the pot, and mix to combine.
8. Ladle sauce over pasta and garnish with feta cheese and olives and fresh ground black pepper.