1 lb (500 g) mild or hot Italian Ontario pork sausages, casing removed
1 Tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, chopped
1 tsp (5 mL) Italian seasoning
1 tsp can (14 oz/398 mL) tomato sauce
1 can (28 oz/798 mL) Italian plum tomatoes
1/2 pkg oven-ready lasagna noodles
1/2 lb (250 g) ricotta cheese
1 cup (250 mL) grated mozzarella cheese
- In a large heavy skillet, heat oil. Add sausage, garlic and onion, stirring to break up meat. Cook about 10 minutes until onions are soft and translucent and sausage is browned.
- Add tomato sauce and tomatoes, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. In a separate bowl, combine ricotta cheese and egg; mix well.
- To assemble, spread 1/3 of meat sauce in a 9 x 13 inch (3 litre) baking dish.
- Cover with a layer of noodles, half the ricotta mixture, 1/3 of remaining meat sauce and 1/3 of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers, ending with noodles, meat sauce and mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 350ºF (180ºC) oven for about 45 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted. Let stand about 10 minutes before serving.