Apricot Sauced Butterflied Pork Steaks
Cooking Time: 4-5 minutes
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
4 (each 100 g raw) loin butterflied Ontario pork chops
1 can (14 fl oz/398 mL) apricot halves, reserving liquid
3 Tbsp (45 mL) frozen orange juice concentrate
1 Tbsp (15 mL) granulated sugar
1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated orange rind
Dash ground allspice
1 Tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
1/4 cup (50 mL) chopped red onion
1 large firm pear, cored and sliced
1 Tbsp (15 mL) butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) seedless red grapes, halved
Salt and ground black pepper
- Place pork steaks in a large plastic bag or in a sealable container.
- Combine apricot liquid, orange juice concentrate, sugar, orange peel, and allspice and pour over pork steaks.
- Seal container and marinate steaks in the refrigerator a minimum of 30 minutes to a maximum of 24 hours.
- Remove pork steaks from marinade and reserve marinade. Place pork on broiler pan; broil 5 inches (12 cm) from heat for 4 to 5 minutes on each side.
- Meanwhile, puree apricots and cornstarch in food processor.
- Saute onion and pear in melted butter in skillet for 3 minutes.
- Add reserved marinade; bring to a boil, then stir in pureed apricot mixture; cook and stir until thickened. Stir in grapes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over pork.